LEARN ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF MICROCHIPPING
Many pet owners understand the importance of microchipping a cat or dog, but did you know that you can microchip your horse?
Take a look at some of these incredible benefits!
- It’s permanent – Microchips don’t fade or distort like tattoos and brands.
- Microchips help positively ID your horse during natural disasters, disease outbreaks, theft, Houdini paddock escapades, and more!
- Some brands link directly to your horse’s medical history, allowing veterinarians to provide critical care when you’re unable to be contacted.
- Accurately ID your horse at competitions, ensure your competition record is linked to your horse!
- Microchips count as equine legal identification for sales documentation and transfers.
- Enroll your horse in Full Circle programs that list previous owners, rescues, or individuals interested in providing a home or safe landing should the horse become at-risk.
- Low cost, low pain, low maintenance: chips are implanted by a veterinarian via syringe during routine visits for $35-$60 and require no upkeep. Since microchips last at least 25 years, this one-time fee should be valid for the life of the horse.
- Microchips are difficult to remove. This makes it difficult for criminals to remove a microchip and provides for simpler identification of a missing or stolen horse.
- Magnets will not deactivate the chip. Microchips are read-only and provide only the animal’s identification number. No additional information about the horse is stored on the microchip, and they do not have a power supply.
- According to a study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, microchips implanted in the nuchal ligament do not migrate.
- Extensive studies both here and in England over the last 20 years have demonstrated that microchips do not cause cancer.
- Microchips are read-only and do not contain a GPS.
- Starting in January 2017, the Jockey Club requires all Thoroughbred foals be microchipped. Beginning December 1, 2017, all horses competing in U.S. Equestrian Federation-licensed and/or U.S. Hunter Jumper Association-sanctioned competitions with hunter-jumper seat equitation classes must be microchipped.
For more information please visit the American Association of Equine Practitioners “Chip Your Horse“
Help us spread the word about the importance of microchipping your horse, and we’ll give you a free microchip!
How the microchip giveaway works (and rules!)
How to get your free Microchip(s) and registration form(s):
- Go to our Facebook Page and like/follow: UHC Facebook
- Like our recent post about the Importance of Microchipping/Horselookup.org
- Fill out the required form with your information (so we know where to send the chip(s)!)
- Though not required, we’d love to see you share this important information with other horse lovers like you!
- All persons eligible for a microchip must be 18 years of age or older.
- All persons eligible for a microchip must be US Residents.
- The microchip must be administered by a licensed Veterinarian.
- Only one entry per person and per household. (2 microchips will be given per household)
- Only one entry per rescue/sanctuary. (5 microchips will be given to each rescue/sanctuary that applies.)
- Permission is granted to use any image or comments in future promotional UHC materials.
- Giveaway entrants agree to release and hold harmless the “sponsor” from and against any claims of the cause of action arising out of participation in the giveaway or receipt of use of the microchips.
- The microchip giveaway will continue until supply runs out.
Need to look up a Microchip number?
Check out the American Horse Councils